Saturday, May 10, 2008

Trent and Me-Blockbuster

Then there was the time when Trent was about 12, so I would have been about 29, and he and I wound up going to Blockbuster one night (-to pick up movies, obviously). Naturally I went out of my way to embarrass him at every opportunity. First thing in the door, I shouted:

"OK OK, Trent Sever, I promise we will get Barney for you if they have it!!!"

And so it went from there. Before long, Trent took off running and hid from me.

I took some time to browse the new releases, but I kept one eye out for Trent as well. Pretty soon I spotted him, predictably in the video game section, absorbed in reading the back of some game or other. He was still just short enough that he was almost hidden by the height of the shelves at this particular Blockbuster, so I figured he thought he was completely invisible. Very quietly, crouching all the while, I ninja-ed up on him. I got to where I knew I was within three feet of him. All I had to do was jump out from behind the aisle I was hiding in and yell something humiliating. So I did.

Seizing a game at random, I lunged around the corner, shoved the game in his face and said very loudly : "Here's your Teletubbies!!"

That was when I noticed that it wasn't Trent, just some other random preteen about Trent's height and hair color. He gave me a very weird look. I don't remember exactly what I did next.

5 comments:

lizS said...

i do because i was there. you said something like "so sorry, wrong person. "YOU'RE not trent are you?" and beat a hasty retreat. the kids face said it all. "that guy is NUTS."

Brad Carter said...

I think you should jump out at strangers with that line more often.

Renae said...

That reminds me of the time that I jumped out of the hippo, at the guy in the zoo. I've blogged about it somewhere before, but I don't know where it is, or I'd put a link.

timpani76 said...

I laughed at this so loud that the children were staring to see if there was something wrong with me.

Everyone Admires Mary said...

ROFL! Very sneaky of Trent to fool you into thinking he was some other kid! He's a very clever guy!