Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Embarrassing Mom at Church

When I was about 10 one of my favorite things to do was to go to my cousin's house out in the country. So I was really excited about the fact that I was going over to spend the night at Becky & Ginger's house after church on this particular Sunday. To prepare for this upcoming adventure, I had packed all kinds of things, most of which were out in the car. However, I had sneaked a small alarm clock (one of the old wind up kinds with the metal hammers) and brought it into sacrament meeting with me, in my purse. By some coincidence of a twisted humored fate, my mother was giving a talk that day. In the middle of her talk, the alarm (which I had taken out of my purse and was playing with) went off. I had no idea how to shut the thing off. It rang and rang and rang, REALLY LOUDLY! I was slapping the thing, sitting on it and trying all kinds of things, all in vain. My mom was so embarrassed! Eventually my grandma came to the rescue and figured out how to turn off the ringer.

On another occasion, my sister Ashley was asked to give the scripture in Primary (where our mom was the president at the time). Ashley (aged about 5-ish??) got up to the pulpit, in her pretty frilly dress, stood up on the little step stool thing, and waited for the adult in charge to whisper the scripture which she was supposed to repeat, into her ear. Then like an utter lunatic, she screamed into the microphone at the top of her lungs, "HONORTHYFATHERANDTHYMOTHER!!!!!" LOLOL!!!

On yet another occasion, while Mom was still in the primary, it was Mom's turn to be the monthly spotlight person. This means that you get your picture, with a list of hobbies, likes, dislikes, etc. hung on the bulletin board out in main hall just outside of the primary room. They had this nice smiling picture of Mom hanging out there. Wickedly, my friend and I decided that the display needed a little improvement. We replaced the picture with this AWFUL extreme close-up of Mother's face wearing these gigantic horrible glasses and sticking out her tongue and making a really ugly face. -he, he, he!

No comments: